How to pick the perfect garden stake
There’s a lot at stake (!) when it comes to ensuring your plant babies are thriving and standing proud. Without the right support, you’ll see your green-fingered efforts flop as a result of strong wind, rain or too much weight up top.
From vegies such as tomatoes and peas to tall flowers, climbing plants and young or newly rooted trees or transplanted shrubs, there are plenty of varieties and occasions when our garden goods need something to lean on.
Not sure where to start when it comes to stakes? We’re here to guide you through the different types and what you need to think about.
What you'll need
Pick your pole!
Suggested Jack products
Additional materials needed for this project:
- Safety gloves
- Rubber mallet
Your step-by-step guide
Pick the right stake
Choose the right stake for the right plant and purpose:
Decorative plant stakes
- Bamboo Flower Stakes – Ideal for potted plants, long-stemmed flowers and bonsai and for young herbs and vegetables
- Deco Garden Stakes – Perfect for potted plants, flowers and shrubs
- Spiral Vegie Stakes – Great for climbing plants
- Tripod Stake Set – Strong frame perfect for growing vines or trees
- Plant Pins – Pick for early growth plants and flowers
- Plant Props – Easy to use all-round plant support
- Regency Garden Stake – Ideal for providing support for potted plants or in the garden
Traditional plant stakes
These all provide strong support for growing plants and trees:
Size does matter!
Pick the perfect length stake for your project. Go too short, and you won’t get the right support. Go too big, and it will overcrowd your plant. Also, consider the width. Flowers, scrubs and saplings need different levels of support.
A stake should go 30-40cm deep into the ground and be approx. one-third to one-half the height of the mature plant.
Consider your impact on the planet. There are plenty of sustainable, long-lasting stake options to choose from:
- Fibreglass stakes are resistant to rot and corrosion
- Traditional cloth ties are strong but gentle on your plants
- Green garden stakes are PVC coated to protect the steel tube
- Spiral stakes are galvanised for longer life
- Bamboo stakes are biodegradable and recyclable
Choose your colour
Pick a stake colour that aligns with your garden aesthetic:
- Black is classic and looks pretty invisible
- Green blends into most leafy gardens
- Natural bamboo is great for contemporary or country vibes
Tie it all together
Once you’ve slipped on your safety goggles and hammered in those stakes, the final step is to tie your plant babies on! Tying supports your plants as they grow, prevents damage and can help you keep your plants looking neat and tidy.
Here are some ties to try:
- Hook and Loop Tie – Perfect for plants/vegies, no knots needed (7.6m)
- Twist Ties – All-purpose plant ties with inbuilt cutter (30m and 100m)
- Traditional Cloth Plant Tie – Soft and ideal for plants/shrubs (25m and 40m)
- Orchid Clips – Quickly secure narrow stems to stakes (20-piece pack)
And that’s plant stakes sorted!
Need more plant-growing help?
Don’t worry; Jack’s got your back! Check out our videos, downloads and other helpful resources below. We’re here to make your outdoor projects easy.